Saturday, January 12, 2013

Sweet Tea. . .Kentucky Style

     It is often said that sweet tea is the "house wine" of the South.  It is an appropriate beverage for any occasion and goes with most entrees, desserts and snacks.  When guests arrive it is customary to offer them a glass of iced sweet tea (unless they have "sugar diabetes").  





     There are many ways to prepare sweet tea.  As I was sitting here sipping on some iced sweet tea, I thought I would share my method with you.  

  1. I have this big gallon size Rubbermaid pitcher that has a lid.  It is great for storing the tea in the fridge.  I put 1 1/2 to 2 cups of white cane sugar in the empty pitcher. 
  2. I have a stainless steel 2 quart cooker that I always use.  I fill it 3/4 full of hot water and place it on the stove with medium heat.  I bring it to a full boil and then place 4 family size tea bags or 12 regular size bags into the water, place the lid on the pot and turn off the flame. (Note: over time and many gallons of tea, your pot will develop dark staining).
  3. Let steep for at least 20 minutes, the longer the better.  I have let it steep up to one hour.  
  4. Pour the hot tea into the pitcher of sugar and stir with a long wooden spoon until the sugar is dissolved.
  5. I then run cold water over the tea bags in the pot and add that to the pitcher, repeat until your pitcher is full.  Toss the bags, they have done their duty.   
  6. Place lots of ice in a tall glass (or pint Mason jar for true Southern joy), pour in the tea, find a comfy chair (preferably on a porch) and enjoy.  Be sure to keep the pitcher of tea refrigerated.
  7. Some people add 1/8 teaspoon of soda to their tea to prevent cloudiness but mine never sits around long enough for this to occur.  


      Ideal tea sipping location!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment