Sunday, January 6, 2013

Blue legs in Kentucky. . .


     Sister Betty and I went to our favorite country auction the last Friday of 2012 and I bought a pair of solid oak accent tables.  They were not vintage by any means, but I liked those gorgeous legs.  When it comes to tables, I am a leg admirer!


     I neglected to take any before pictures.  Drat it! 


     I worked on them New Year’s weekend, so they are officially my first project of 2013.  I painted the legs and bottom frame with Annie Sloan duck egg blue (my favorite color), used walnut stain for glaze and waxed with Annie Sloan clear wax.  I decided to leave the tops natural oak.  A good waxing and the tops were good to go.  



     I painted the shiny brass hardware duck egg blue as well--did I mention it is my favorite color?  I distressed some of the paint off in places to give a worn, shabby appearance.  Lastly, I applied a coat of rub on poly and once dry, I gave it a good buffing. 


    I worried some when I brushed on the walnut stain--well actually, I worried a lot! The stain absorbed into the naturally rough areas in the wood and soaked up quickly.  I thought I would have to paint the whole thing again but by the time I finished, the glazing grew on me and I liked it!


    
     Look at those curvy blue legs!

     
     I took the set to my booth at Antiques-N-Uniques in Grayson, Kentucky yesterday.  From ordinary to shabby chic, they now have an individual air of distinction.  They are just waiting on a new home.   


No comments:

Post a Comment